Cindy,
I know from personal experience that some students will ask for help
finding books on the shelf they thought were not there
because the cover was not on the book.... "But it didn't look anything
like the book in the library catalog".... Different editions  and
reprints of books
will have different covers too, so keeping the cover on the book is  not
fail-safe as compared with imagery in the catalog, but there's no
question that graphics help students locate books as well as browse the
shelves better - a lot better.

Mo

--
Mo Dawley