Greetings Friends,

I would like to offer a counter-view to the prevailing libguides tsunami. Not so much a counter proposal, as such guides can provide significant support when doing library instruction. They give you an excellent salient to instruct from, and a springboard for students _if_ you can hook them into coming back to the library web site.

But they don't do much to conceptually awaken/introduce students to the realization that they have now entered a scholarly world with disciplines that have such a thing as a "literature"... that there are significant historiographic concerns in the humanist literature... that the literature of art, design, and architecture is often imbued with media values that the literature of other disciplines do not necessarily share.

Please visit the Stanford Art & Architecture Library site and check out the Research Topics section. In terms of subjects covered and the depth to which they are covered, this is very much a work in progress. This Drupal site functions as well as it does due to the considerable efforts of Anna Fishaut, the Assistant Librarian for the Art & Architecture Library, who has expended mucho hours developing this initiative:

https://lib.stanford.edu/art

Please give this a look and let us know what you think. The flip books in the Primary Sources sections for Photography and Conceptual Art are worth a visit on their own. I don't want to tip our hand, but do examine these Research Topics and see how they function. They are not intended to function as pathfinders, per se, although the Further Research section is a stab in that direction. Their intent is significantly different. Your comments would be appreciated.

Best to all -- I regret that I will not attend conference this year. We are embarked on a new building program, and that's that. Anna and Katie Keller, as well as Huey-Ning Tan from our VRC, will be in Minneapolis. Please pass on any observations or suggestions to them as well.

Peter

Peter P. Blank
Head Librarian
Art & Architecture Library