Dear Leigh,

For "entertaining and thought-provoking. Nothing too heady" I would suggest my book--one of the (twelve 5-star) reviews on amazon.com says:

The Art of American Book Covers 1875-1930 is a feast for the mind and the eye; intellectually rigorous, provocative and unpretentious. Minsky combines in this authoritative tour-de-force the highest levels of passion, giftedness, integrity and commitment, all rare commodities in our time.

You can also read what others have to say about it.

There is more info on it at my website, with a link to a PDF with sample pages.

Best regards,

Richard