Hi Kathy, this is a very complicated issue and one we have struggled with too.

The selector is the one who knows if a title is being purchased with PPRs.  S/he has to alert Acquisitions (with a note like “Includes PPRs”) who then must  record this so it is carried over into the public catalog.  In the last few years, since we recognized this problem, we have begun putting “Includes public performance rights” in a 540 note that is visible and searchable in the catalog.  We don’t have that information for titles purchased previously, and if we need it in a particular case we research it with the publisher.

Selectors who don’t buy videos very often aren’t always aware of whether they are purchasing with/without PPRs.  Most patrons are clueless about the concept, which is even more complicated because some include time limits (such as three years).  We are keeping track of that in a special licensing database.

A related question is that of videos purchased with other special restrictions, such as no ILL lending.  Again, the selector needs to take the initiative to pass along the message to appropriate staff.  After toying with various ways to handle this, we now mark the physical piece with a sticker explaining the specific restriction.

Hope this helps …

Marsha Stevenson

Marsha Stevenson - Arts, Architecture, and Media Department

243 Hesburgh Library - University of Notre Dame - Notre Dame, IN 46556

574-631-7665 voice | 574-631-8708 fax | 574-274-9554 cell