Error during command authentication.

Error - unable to initiate communication with LISTSERV (errno=10061, phase=CONNECT, target=127.0.0.1:2306). The server is probably not started. Dear ARLIS colleagues,

It’s a new year and I’d like to share some exciting news from the VRA Foundation. First, thank you to those of you who have recently contributed to the VRA Foundation. Your support for the important work of our organization makes a difference. Today, I am delighted to announce a major gift from some very special people, Cathie and Gene Lemon of Phoenix, Arizona. Many of you know Cathie as a fellow VRA member and SEI advocate. Their generous donation will help support several new VRAF education and research activities that I’d like to tell you about.

First, the Foundation is initiating a Project Grant program. The purpose of the VRA Foundation’s Project Grant is to provide support for projects in the field of visual resources and image management that are consonant with the VRA Foundation mission. Up to $1,500 will be awarded per grant. The funds may be used for small, stand-alone projects, pilots or start-up financing for larger projects, or for a component of a larger project. Collaborative projects and those proposed by groups,whether or not affiliated with an organization or institution, are favored. Categories to be considered for funding would include, but not necessarily be limited to, the following: Image Metadata and Cataloguing, Data Standards, Digital Archives, Digitization Projects (Educational Institutions, Libraries, Museums),Visual Literacy, Pedagogy and Technology, and Intellectual Property Rights.

Project proposals may be submitted at any time during the year. The Foundation reviews and selects projects for funding twice a year, in April and November. The deadline for April review is March 31. The deadline for November review is October 31. Guidelines and Application forms will be posted to the VRAF web site shortly.

Next, I know you’ll agree that there’s so much to look forward to at the upcoming VRA + ARLIS/NA annual conference in Minneapolis.This year the Foundation is proud to co-sponsor the March 25th plenary session, “Works and Fair Use: Can Bridges Be Built between Educational Users and Copyright Owners?” featuring Jule Sigall, who has served as the Associate Register for Policy and International Affairs at the U.S. Copyright Office and is now serving as Associate General Counsel to Microsoft. This session is an important component of our mission to educate communities in the area of Intellectual Property. Following the plenary, the Foundation will hold a special luncheon for VRAF Gold, Silver, and Bronze Circle contributors.

And finally, we will be welcoming three new members to the VRA Foundation Board at our annual meeting on March 23. Rebecca Moss, Alix Reiskind, and Tina Updike will be bringing their time and talents to the Foundation’s mission. With this turnover we’ll also be saying goodbye to our hard-working and long-term board members, Jeanne Keefe, Ann Thomas, and Loy Zimmerman. Please join me in welcoming our new board and giving a hearty thanks to the outgoing members.

I look forward to seeing many of you in Minneapolis. Please don’t hesitate to contact me or other VRAF directors with questions or comments about the VRA Foundation.

Best Regards,
Elisa

Elisa Lanzi

Chair, VRA Foundation