Dear colleagues,

I am attempting to find-in vain, thus far-the source for the following quotation from the designer Charlotte Perriand:

"The most important thing to realise is that what drives the modern movement is a spirit of enquiry, it's a process of analysis and not a style. We worked with ideals."

A professor came across it on the Design Museum's website (and reproduced elsewhere on the web) without a citation, and I have been unable to find the original source. I've checked these materials:

·         Perriand's autobiography, Vie de Création/ Life of Creation

·         Teicher, H. Collective affinity [interview with C. Perriand]. Artforum International (Summer 1999)

·         Vedrenne, E. "Rendez-vous avec Charlotte Perriand" [visit to the French furniture designer's home]. Beaux Arts Magazine (December 1996)

·         Vedrenne, E. Charlotte Perriand (Assouline, 2005).

·         "Pour une écologie du logement" [interview with C. Perriand]. L'Architecture d'Aujourd'hui (February 1996)

·         Morteo, E. "Charlotte Perriand: mobili come metafore di un' epoca [interview]." Domus (September 1988)

·         Ellis, C., et. al., "Charlotte Perriand looks back, and forward [interview]." The Architectural Review (November 1984)

·         Charlotte Perriand: Interior Equipment (Architectural League of New York, 1997).

·         Charlotte Perriand (Centre Pompidou, 2005).

I don't have a date for the quotation but, as noted on the DM website,  it supposedly comes from one of Perriand's "last interviews" before her death in 1999. I suspect it may have originated in  the Design Museum's 1996 exhibition catalogue, Charlotte Perriand, Modernist Pioneer, but have been unable to get my hands on a copy.

I would greatly appreciate any help!

Patrick Tomlin

Head, Art + Architecture Library
Virginia Tech