Apologies for duplication ; this message is being posted to several
listserves.

Hello Colleagues in academic libraries in institutions that all have a
"Center for the Humanities" on your campus.

Our Library is in the midst of strategic planning and our college has
received a Mellon Planning Grant with the goal to "revitalize the
humanities" on the Colby College Campus. The College is looking at possible
options and models for creating a Center for the Humanities at Colby. The
Steering Committee for this initiative is comprised totally of teaching
faculty ; there is no library representation.

Since the Library is part of the Humanities Division, our director has
identified as a strategic goal to be a part of the engaging with the
Humanities Initiative at the College, and I am the team leader for
identifying specific strategies to accomplish this goal.

For those of you that already have a Center for the Humanities on your
campus, how does your Library engage with your Center's  activities. Does
the Library have a defined role that is part of the Center.

Is your "Center" located in the Library, or does your Library provide spaces
for meetings, exhibits, etc. What kinds of faculty/library collaboration
with your Humanities people might you site as examples or models of
"engagement".

Promoting collections, databases, special collections, etc. is already on
the board. Offering library spaces for events is one suggestion. Virtual
library exhibits has been suggested.

Any other creative suggestions from the field?

Respond directly to me:

Margaret Ericson, Art and Music Librarian

Colby College

Waterville, Maine