Dear Colleagues,

In September 2006, we invited librarians on this list who were working in academic/research libraries and hold a doctorate in a discipline other than LIS to participate in an online survey.

Many survey respondents requested that we post information about the article's publication back to the listserv. We are pleased to report that the second of two articles appeared in the current issue of the journal portal: Libraries and the Academy.

As some of you will recall, the first article focused upon survey respondents' demographic profile, educational background, paths into librarianship, and range of positions currently held.

The current follow-up piece concentrates on their experiences in the workplace and views about the advantages and disadvantages of academic librarianship as a career:

"Academic/Research Librarians with Subject Doctorates: Experiences and Perceptions, 1965-­2006." portal: Libraries and the Academy 10, no. 4 (October 2010): 399-412.

Those whose institutions subscribe to portal can see the current article here:

HTML:

http://muse.jhu.edu/journals/portal_libraries_and_the_academy/v010/10.4.gilman.html

PDF:

http://muse.jhu.edu/journals/portal_libraries_and_the_academy/v010/10.4.gilman.pdf

Additionally, for those who missed the first article, here’s the citation:

"Academic/Research Librarians with Subject Doctorates: Data and Trends 1965­-2006." portal: Libraries and the Academy 8, no. 1 (January 2008): 31-52.

Those whose institutions subscribe to portal can see the first article here:

HTML:

http://muse.jhu.edu/journals/portal_libraries_and_the_academy/v008/8.1lindquist.html

PDF:

http://muse.jhu.edu/journals/portal_libraries_and_the_academy/v008/8.1lindquist.pdf

Many thanks to everyone who responded to our survey! The data we gathered allowed us to write the first two in-depth articles on academic librarians with subject doctorates based on their own experiences.

Best wishes,

Todd Gilman, Librarian for Literature in English, Yale University Library &

Thea Lindquist, Associate Faculty Director for Collections Services, Research, and Instruction, University of Colorado at Boulder Libraries