specific object / david platzker

presents

"Bruce Conner for Supervisor"

November 29 - December 17, 2010 & January 3 - January 28, 2011

Specific Object / David Platzker is pleased to announce the opening of
the exhibition "Bruce Conner for Supervisor." The exhibition will be on
view at Specific Object from November 29 - December 17, 2010 and
resuming January 3 - January 28, 2011.

In today's era of political turmoil it's refreshing to remember when
politics were perhaps more sane, more rational, more inspirational,
more honest and more genuine. Take San Francisco in 1967 for example,
and the "Beat Artist" Bruce Conner's run for a seat on the board of
city supervisors.

"For him [Bruce Conner] the campaign was more like a game. At that time
there was no fee to run for supervisor in San Francisco. So it was free
publicity. He got to give speeches to the public. He also got to
publish at no cost in the booklet where the candidates listed their
qualifications and positions. The speech he gave was a list of candies
and desserts and I believe the one that went into the voter's booklet
was about light. He went through the Bible, probably the New Testament,
picked out all the verses in which light was mentioned and that was his
statement. Bruce voted in every election and was very critical of
friends who didn't vote. Even if his was the only "no" vote, it was
important to let someone know that someone had protested."
- Jean Conner, Bruce Conner: Die 70er Jahre, Verlag für moderne Kunst, 2010

Conner, riffing San Francisco's emerging counter culture graphic
sensibilities designed a screen-printed campaign poster featuring the
image of the artist painting the word "LOVE" on a two-year old
elephant, a commission by Goldwyn Studio's for Peter Sellers' notorious
spoof "The Party."

"That psychedelic part threw me at first," said Conner. "I didn't know
quite what it meant. I once did endpapers for a book by Timothy Leary.
You're supposed to read it when you're on a trip. I didn't care much
for the book so I tried to make the endpapers nice so people would have
something nice to look at." - Bruce Conner, Los Angeles Times, May 17, 1967

This presentation at Specific Object features three remaining elements
from Bruce Conner's 1967 run for office: two of the campaign posters he
designed, as well as a sticker covered soapbox platform on which Conner
delivered his campaign speeches. Surely if Conner had won everyone
would have received their just desserts.

An exhibition checklist is available at:

www.specificobject.com/projects/conner/Conner-Checklist.PDF

Specific Object's hours are Monday - Friday 10 AM to 5 PM, or by appointment.

Specific Object is located at 601 West 26th Street / Floor 2M / Room
M285, New York City. Telephone (212) 242-6253.

Specific Object's website is www.specificobject.com

For additional information regarding the exhibition or Specific Object
please email David Platzker at [log in to unmask]

This press release is archived at:

www.specificobject.com/projects/conner

specific object / david platzker
601 west 26 street, room m285
new york, ny 10001

212.242.6253 tel.

www.specificobject.com

If you prefer not to receive future e-mails, please send us an e-mail
with subject line REMOVE.

 ------Multipart-Boundary-xxZzZYnd2SHrQ--- Content-Type: text/html;
charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit