To the ARLIS/NA Membership,

On behalf of the Strategic Planning Committee, I welcome the opportunity to
discuss our plans to engage you in the strategic planning process for
2011-15.

Over the last six months, the Strategic Planning Committee has gathered
information from various internal and outside sources.  Following ARLIS/NA
President Marilyn Russell's October letter to the Membership and another to
the regional Chapters, we have received initial feedback that has both
focused and expanded our set of preliminary goals and objectives.
Meanwhile, both new and renewing members have indicated on their membership
profile a willingness to participate in the strategic planning process.

Now we are ready to work with the Membership-at-large and with
representative groups and liaisons on developing these goals so as to make
ARLIS/NA a more responsive and dynamic organization for the challenging
times ahead.  We hope to prompt feedback by means of a general Survey and
through virtual Focus Groups. The latter will utilize the committees and
other groups in providing a good cross-section of our diverse membership.
By means of these two approaches, we want to be assured of the broadest
possible representation of the ARLIS/NA membership and to encourage your
participation.

The attached Preliminary Goals are preceded by a Statement of Purpose that I
hope you will embrace so that together, we can develop a strong support
structure with the organizational leadership that our field requires to
flourish in the shifting library landscape ahead.  The e-Survey Form will be
released early in 2011 at which time you will be alerted via ARLIS-L.  In
the brief interim, if you have any questions, please don't hesitate to
contact me or any member of the Strategic Planning Committee.

With warmest regards for the New Year,

Pat Barnett, Chair
for the ARLIS/NA Committee on Strategic Planning

SP Committee members:
Jamie Lausch, Hannah Bennett, Jennifer Garland,
Eumie Imm-Stroukoff, Barbara Rachenbach and Eric Wolf
Executive Board Liaison to the Strategic Planning Committee: Jon Evans
Patricia J. Barnett
Chief Librarian Emerita of the Frick Art Reference Library

Patricia J. Barnett
Chief Librarian Emerita of the Frick Art Reference Library
33 Greenwich Ave. # 6J     New York, NY  10014
212-243-4255 (NY)   646-206-8485 (mobile)    860-542-5889 (CT)