Via Nancy Kimberly for HASTAC (Humanities, Arts, Science, and
Technology Advanced Collaboratory):

Our HASTAC network at the University of Michigan, led by our Steering
Committee member Daniel Herwitz, and with regional assistance from SC
member Julie Klein (Wayne State), is meeting  to begin planning for
next year's HASTAC International Conference. It's still a year away
but they have confirmed a date so you can mark your calendars:
December 2-3, 2011. This conference promises to be bold,
wide-ranging, and urgent. You won't want to miss it!

The event will be held in the North Quadrangle at University of
Michigan, a new center of digitally and technologically-driven units
at UM, from Screen Arts and Cultures to the School of Information,
including living-learning dorms, classrooms, interactive meeting
areas, and other innovative spaces. The theme, Digital Scholarly
Communication, will unfold in its most expansive version, as a
collaboration of various departments, the Sweetland Writing Center,
the Library, and the newly inaugurated digital press (hosted at the
Library), including DigitalCulture Books (and the HASTAC
first-publication prize too). The conference will feature many
north-south international projects (such as the Law and Slavery
project), with a focus on issues of changes in language and thinking
in the internet-bred generation, issues around innovation in the
Ph.D. and graduate education more generally, issues of equality,
inequality, access (globally and nationally), circulation, and
representation, all of the broadest and most incisive issues of
scholarly communication (moral, social, legal, conceptual, and
international in scope).

In the coming months, we will be hearing much more about this
conference, but we wanted to share this breaking news with you now.
Enormous thanks to all of those at the University of Michigan who are
already thinking ahead to make this our best HASTAC conference ever.
We'll all be hearing  more over the months ahead. Stay tuned!

http://www.hastac.org/
--
John J. Taormina
Director, Visual Media Center and

Ph: 919-684-2501
E-mail: [log in to unmask]
http://www.duke.edu/web/art/

"Education is what survives when what has been learnt has been forgotten."