Please excuse cross-posting, and please pass on.

Most of us try to recycle our old computers and TVs in a responsible way,
by taking them to one of the nearby recycling centers.  Unfortunately
unless these recyclers conform to the "e-Steward"  standards, our castoffs
are sent to the poorest countries by ship where they are scavenged for
any valuable materials.  In addition to having our garbage dumped on them,
workers (including children) in China, India, Ghana and Pakistan, among
other countries, are exposed to myriad toxic materials through direct
contact or poisoned water supplies.

An organization called the Basel Action Network (BAN) has set up the
"e-Stewards Program", which ensures that electronics are recycled in an
ethical and environmentally responsible way.  You can find your closest
e-Stewards certified recycler here: http://e-stewards.org/find-a-recycler/

To learn more about BAN, visit their website (http://www.ban.org/), or
read/listen to a very interesting interview on NPR's Fresh Air:
http://www.npr.org/2010/12/21/132204954/after-dump-what-happens-to-electronic-waste

Thank you,
Jackie

  Jacqueline Spafford  <[log in to unmask]>
  Image Resource Curator, Department of History of Art and Architecture
  New mailing address: 2838 Ellison Hall
  University of California, Santa Barbara, CA 93106-7080
  Blog "The Red Dot": http://ucsbvrc.wordpress.com
  Work phone: 805-893-2509  Fax: 805-893-7117