  From: Patricia Barnett
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Sent: Thursday, November 18, 2010 10:14 AM
  Subject: Re: [ARLIS-L] Question Concerning Librarians and Artists Books

  Jenny Beard has posed a fascinating question that needs consideration-

  The answer may well be that the collecting of artists books has more to do with the librarian's familiarity (they are "books" after all) along with the curator's lack of the same degree of devotion to the genre.

  My library positions have always been at institutions that did not collect artists books (or rare books, per se), but rather books for their contents.  Even so, I too have been fascinated by the intensity of this area of special collections, and often wondered if there was as devoted a world of users - researchers and scholars -  to justify so many collections.  In the 1970's, after identifying late 19th century travel/view books in the MMA Watson Library and enhancing the cataloging to identify photographers, etc., I then observed their transfer to the Prints & Photograph Department.  In retrospect - I believe the transfer was justified, as long as the library could maintain the cataloging information to share with its researchers, access could be provided, and the book conservator would be their primary care-taker.  Collaboration began to replace separate and distinct.

  The artists books mystique is an example of antiquated issues at play - the book as object and/or information; the blurring of curatorial and librarian roles; and a romantic inclination toward "democratic" art.  Who are art librarians collecting for - their researchers or themselves?  Artists have been known to produce art for themselves, but if there weren't so many art librarians collecting artists books, would there be so many artists books produced?

  Let's here from others who are actually in the field.

  Patricia J. Barnett

  Chief Librarian Emerita of the Frick Art Reference Library

  [log in to unmask]    33 Greenwich Avenue #6J    New York NY  10014

  212-243-4255 (NY)        646-206-8485 (mobile)       860-542-5889 (CT)