From: ARLIS/NA List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Starr, Daniel
Sent: Wednesday, November 17, 2010 4:37 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [ARLIS-L] Catalogues raisonnes -- Chinese artists?

Lee,
This is a classic case of the negative effect of improved cataloging.  LC cataloged the Wildenstein book in 1975 shortly after the first volume was published, but the subdivision "Catalogues raisonnés" wasn't created until the 1980's.  As is typical in these situations, older cataloging was not updated.  By the time the English translation was published in 1996 the subdivision was used, so even though the English title,"Monet, or, The triumph of Impressionism," doesn't even indicate that the set is a catalogue raisonné , the subdivision was correctly assigned.
Daniel