designinform
•  Design Abstracts Retrospective
•  Design ProFILES
•  ReVIEW
•  designinform Research Guides

A new addition to the ReVIEW digital library:

The Poster vols 1-6, nos.1-33, 1898-1901

Hi

Now exceptionally rare, The Poster was the most important journal in English devoted to the art of the poster.  In addition to containing over 3,000 images (several in colour), it includes interviews with and profiles of many of the leading names in poster design including Toulouse-Lautrec, Steinlen, Alphonse Mucha, Ethel Reed, Maxfield Parrish, Paul Berthon, Will Bradley, Arpad Basch, Jules Chéret, Jack B. Yeats, Aubrey Beardsley, the Beggarstaff Brothers, etc.

It also includes articles on poster art in Russia, Italy, France, Germany, Spain, Japan, Belgium, Austria, Hungary, Denmark, the Netherlands, Great Britain, the USA, etc., as well as articles on specific aspects of the poster including bicycle posters, political posters, railroad posters, theatre posters, the poster as a mirrow of life, plagiarism in poster design, posters for incandescent gas mantles, symbolism in advertising, etc.

In its final year (volume 6) the title was expanded to The Poster and Art Collector, and it began to include articles on related aspects of art icluding the design of magazine covers, book covers, bookbinding (e.g. a long article on the Guild of Women Binders), pictorial postcards, playbills, and theatrical caricatures

Because The Poster was never indexed and because files of the magazine are are so scarce, these articles are little known or documented.

In order to enhance the value of the digitization, we have classified the posters by subject and type.  We have also researched biographical details of all the artists whose work is reproduced, giving their full name, dates, nationality, etc. In addition we have added over 1,200 links to web sites containing further information about the artists and examples of their work.    We intend to add biographical information and web links to all future titles digitized for designinform ReVIEW.

Best wishes

Chris

Chris Mees
Editor – designinform
Design Research Publications . Poundsford . Vicarage Lane . Burwash .  East Sussex . England TN19 7JS

T: +44 1435 883950
E:
W: http://www.designinform.co.uk/