Hello all,

I am excited to bring you details about our November 19 meeting:
*
*Please RSVP as soon as possible here: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/YWXNLVG
*

*We will be meeting at Stanford's Green Library. Coffee and pastries will be
served at 9:00 a.m. Meet Outside the East Wing [Main] entrance of Green
Library.  There's a little plaza, benches, etc. The entrance is across from
Meyer Library and next to a tubular red sculpture. Here is* **a *map link,
which includes the library and other sites on our agenda:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=106542109780902614656.0004946596c46af6a1c8d&ll=37.429018,-122.167153&spn=0.01186,0.020556&z=16
*

*It is an honor to hold this meeting jointly with VRA. In the morning we
will all gather for coffee and then split into separate rooms for the
business portion of our meeting.

Now is the hour to renew your membership - you may renew at our meeting -
bring your checkbooks!

Would someone be willing to be secretary for the day? Unfortunately we have
lost our current secretary to unforeseen obligations and so she will not be
present at the meeting. Please email me and let me know if you would be
willing to take meeting notes.

ARLIS and VRA members will re-gather in one room to listen to three
panelists speak on copyright and intellectual property. Here are bios for
our three speakers, who represent quite a range of expertise on the subject
- I'm thrilled at our good fortune to have them present.

*Mimi Calter* is the Assistant University Librarian & Chief of Staff, at
Stanford University Libraries. As the Special Projects Librarian &
Intellectual Property Manager for the Stanford University Libraries &
Academic Information Resources (SULAIR), she developed the Stanford
Copyright Renewal Database, which assists copyright researchers in assessing
the renewal status of US works. She also coordinates copyright policy for
the library, and manages the intellectual property of William Saroyan, whose
copyrights came to Stanford along with his archive.
     Prior to joining SULAIR, Mimi was a Knowledge Manager for the
Technology, Media & Telecom industry group for the Investment Banking
division of Goldman Sachs, where she developed and maintained systems and
ontologies for managing internal work product, in addition to providing
reference and research services. She worked as a researcher at
PricewaterhouseCoopers before joining GS, and spent the early part of her
career working in technical publishing.
     Mimi received a Masters in Library & Information Science from Drexel
University in 1997, and a BA in English from the University Of Pennsylvania
in 1990.

*Anne Bast* is the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art's Intellectual
Property Associate.  She holds an MSI from the University of Michigan School
of Information and a certificate in Cultural Heritage Studies from the
Institut National du Patrimoine in Paris.  Over the past five years Anne has
worked in libraries, museums and archives in the US and France, leading her
to develop a keen interest in the intersection of cultural heritage
institutions, information systems and intellectual property.

*Jason M. Schultz* is an Assistant Clinical Professor of Law and Director of
the Samuelson Law, Technology & Public Policy Clinic at the UC Berkeley
School of Law (Boalt Hall). Before joining Boalt Hall as a faculty member in
the Samuelson Clinic, he was a Senior Staff Attorney at the Electronic
Frontier Foundation  (EFF), one of the leading digital rights groups in the
world. At EFF, Schultz handled numerous high-profile intellectual property
and technology matters affecting the public’s interests in free expression,
fair use, and innovation with an emphasis on issues of copyright law,
reverse engineering, digital rights management, and patent law reform.
     Schultz’s writing primarily focuses on the ongoing struggle to balance
intellectual property regimes with the public interest in free expression,
access to knowledge, and innovation in light of new technologies and the
challenges they pose.

We have lunch reservations for 1:00pm at the Faculty Club; cost will be
about $20-26, please bring cash. They request payment with one credit card,
so we will all need to pay Anna Fishaut, who has graciously agreed to cover
this cost up front, in cash, at lunch. Thank you.

Lastly, a heads up that we will be sending out a voting ballot for
secretary/treasurer in the coming days.

Thanks very much, we look forward to seeing you all.

Kind Regards,

*Lisa Conrad*

*Product Manager, Metadata Management*

*Innovative Interfaces, Inc.*