Hi everyone,

In preparation for moving our art library to a new space, we are exploring security options - something new for us, since currently we use neither an electromagnetic system nor RFID. I was hoping that anyone with experience implementing RFID in their library would be willing to share with me that experience, pros, cons, tips, warning, questions we should be asking, etc.

We are also exploring (tentatively) the possibility of replacing our rather limited current library system (Surpass) with a more comprehensive system, and we're wondering if the implementation of RFID might be a reason to do that. Our system is compatible with RFID, but I don't know if there are reasons why it would be better to use one of the major ILSs, or whether it really doesn't matter. And if anyone has experience specifically with using RFID with Surpass, that would be wonderful.

I know that some on this listserv use major ILSs, and some use smaller systems - I thought this would be a good group to poll.

Thanks,
Katy

Katy Rawdon | Archivist and Librarian
The Barnes Foundation | 300 North Latch's Lane | Merion, PA  19066
Ph:  (610) 667-0290 ext. 1048 | Fax: (610) 664-4026
[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> | www.barnesfoundation.org/archivesandlibrary.html<http://www.barnesfoundation.org/archivesandlibrary.html>