Dear Karen,

Great topic!  I looked in LCSH and found this in the scope note for History in art:

"Here are entered works dealing with the representation of historical events and characters."

I think a combination of History in art and Art, Medieval--Themes, motives would work in this case.  If there’s a particular theme, then a more specific heading (e.g., Nine Worthies in art) could be substituted for History in art.

Some examples from LC’s catalog:
http://lccn.loc.gov/2001025982
http://lccn.loc.gov/2010003711
http://lccn.loc.gov/95236979

Hope this helps, and I look forward to seeing other approaches
--Julia

~ Opinions expressed are my own, not necessarily that of my employer. ~

Julia Wisniewski
Cataloging Librarian
Library of Congress
101 Independence Ave SE