Jeffrey,
I can't answer all of your questions, but I can provide some information about why the cataloging of Festschriften is lacking.

Descriptive cataloging rarely adds any information about what an item is, beyond what is expressed in the item itself.  This approach goes back before AACR2.  So if a festschrift calls itself that, you don't have a problem, because at least you can find it by a keyword search.  But that also means if the festschrift is "papers in honor of ..." you're out of luck.

Similarly LCSH until recently wasn't much concerned with the form or genre of items so a festschrift would get subject headings for the topic(s) discussed, but no heading or subdivision to indicate that the volume is a festschrift.  (See my recent post on catalogues raisonnés.)

Next we turn to the miracle of the MARC record, which is not cataloging per se, but a method for encoding cataloging information.  When it was developed in those heady days when we thought automation would solve all of our problems it did allow for additional coding to describe what was being cataloged beyond the description (according to AACR) and the subject headings (assigned according to LCSH).  Maybe you've seen all those letters and numbers in the 008 field that look like DNA gone astray: 880328s1930    au ac         010 0 ger d

That "1" nested between two zeros indicates that the record is for a festschrift.  There actually is the opportunity to code for many things that aren't expressed elsewhere in the record, but does it do anyone any good?  Not really, because most OPACs weren't developed to make use of the information.  But good catalogers have diligently filled in those codes over the years, so it does give us other opportunities.  We have used that coding to retrieve records and add a form/genre heading "Festschriften" to all of our cataloging for festschrifts.  So if you search Watsonline (http://library.metmuseum.org/) by keyword (or if you want to be picky, by material/document type) you will find records for over 2,300 festschriften.

This is probably much more than you wanted to know, but I hope it is helpful.
Regards,
Daniel

Daniel Starr
Associate Chief Librarian