What a fabulous question to contemplate on a Friday morning!  Forgive me if
I wax poetical, but to me artist books are indeed magical.

They stretch the definitions of book and art and how those two intersect to
create some entirely new dimension.

They are touchable art, made for the viewer to hold and look at in an
intimate one-on-one relationship that cannot, I believe, be duplicated with
(almost) any other art form.

They are sensual and sensory, with the feel of the paper or materials, the
smell of the ink and (sometimes) of the contents, the opportunity to see how
a book is made, bound, sewn, folded, constructed, printed, colored - all of
which add so many dimensions to the work that do no occur with other art
objects.

They are junctures of technology, technique, ideas and aesthetics in a
(usually) portable, (usually) recognizable, (usually) comprehensible form,
but their form and structure can be anything.

They are holistic works, with the form working with (or sometimes against)
the content, requiring the .reader/viewer to participate in the creation of
meaning and in trying to understand the decisions the artist(s) made when
constructing the object.

They are, in my opinion, the perfect work of art!

Best to all,
Moira
Moira Steven, Library Director
Joanne Waxman Library @ Maine College of Art
522 Congress Street, Portland, ME 04101
207-775-5153 (general)/207-699-5090 (direct line)/207-775-5087 (fax)

"We shouldn't teach great books; we should teach a love of reading." - B.F.
Skinner