From: Joan Benedetti
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Saturday, October 16, 2010 6:25 PM
Subject: Re: [ARLIS-L] James Findlay Passed Away

I was so very sorry to hear of Jim Findlay's very untimely passing.  He has been a dear friend and colleague for many years.  I first met him when I joined ARLIS/NA and the Southern California chapter in 1977.  He was Chapter Chair in 1977-78.  I wasn't surprised when he went to Florida, as I knew he was a collector of superb circa 1940s tropical furniture before it was fashionable.  The Miami conference, which he co-chaired, was absolutely delightful.  His contributions to the Bienes Museum of the Modern Book, however, were superlative.  I ordered quite a few of the very attractive catalogs and bibliographies that he published over the last few years--for my personal collection.  It was a privilege to know him and it is shocking and sad that he was taken away just before he planned to retire.

Joan