To ARLIS/NA members,

This is a message to highlight some of the business conducted at the ARLIS/NA Mid Year Executive Board meetings.  We met on September 23-24 in Santa Fe, New Mexico at the Georgia O’Keeffe Museum conference board room.  The city welcomed us with much needed rain on the day of our arrival and then with beautiful sunny weather for the rest of our stay.  Our thanks to the staff at the Georgia O’Keeffe Museum and Research Center for their hospitality.

I will mention a few items that may be of interest to you.  The FY11 budget was approved along with four special funding requests from Chapters, Committees, and Special Interest Groups.  The Executive Board also approved a motion from the Finance Committee to transfer $100,000 from the Vanguard Prime Money Market Fund to a one-year Certificate of Deposit.  Hats off to Tom Riedel, ARLIS/NA Treasurer for his hard work.

We supported the slate of candidates for the 2011 Executive Board presented from the Nominating Committee:

Deborah Kempe as Vice-President/President Elect, Alan Michelson as Secretary, Rina Vecchiola as Development & Membership Liaison, Sarah Carter as Education Liaison, and Laurel Bliss as Chapter Liaison.  A big thanks to the Nominating Committee: Ed Teague, Margaret Webster, Eric Wolf and Leslie Abrams, Chair.

The Strategic Planning Committee Liaison, Jon Evans, gave an update from this committee.  The committee will begin the process of gathering input from the ARLIS/NA membership for the next Strategic Plan (2011-2015).  The process will begin this November with the Chapters and expand to include the Society’s Committees, Divisions, Sections, and Special Interest Groups.  A set of preliminary goals based upon internal and outside sources have been assembled by the Strategic Planning Committee and will be submitted to the Chapters for their review and feedback.  One of the critical issues contained in the preliminary goals is “new directions and identity for the profession.”  A special thank you for the ongoing work of this committee: Jamie Lausch, Hannah Bennett, Jennifer Garland, Eumie Imm-Stroukoff, Barbara Rachenbach, Eric Wolf, and Patricia Barnett, Chair.

Updates and reports were given by each of the Executive Board Liaisons.  In particular was the report of the Task Force on the Future of Art Documentation.  The task force report was submitted by Laurel Bliss, Judy Dyki, Sonja Staum, Kay Teel, and Jonathan Franklin, Chair of the Communications and Publications Committee. These folks have done an outstanding job.  The Liaisons to these committees and members is facilitated by Tony White, Education Liaison; James Rout, Canadian Member-at-Large; Sandy Brooke, Communications and Publications; Vanessa Kam, Chapters; Kim Collins, Development and Membership; and Heidi Hass, Cataloging. A lot of work is being done by our Society members.  I thank all of you.

We are fortunate to have TEI as our management firm and Chris Roper as the ARLIS/NA Association and Conference Manager.  He is working with our members and in particular, he is working on the upcoming Minneapolis Conference in 2011, the Toronto Conference in 2012 and tying up a hotel contract for the Pasadena Conference in 2013.

I think I have entertained you long enough.  If you have questions about any business conducted at the Mid Year Board meetings, I suggest you contact any of the names mentioned above for further information.  I thank you for your time and your continued interest in our Society and all that you personally do to make it so vital.  Mari Russell

Marilyn Russell, Ph.D.

Library Director

President ARLIS/NA

Haskell Indian Nations University