Dear Gail,

With the luxury of a weekend to think this over, my approach would be:

1)  600 for saint #1

2)  600 for the other possibility

3)  Christian saints—Attributes.

4)  Christian saints in art.

(If you can establish headings for named works of art, then those would be headings 1 & 2.)

This brings out the two possible saints:  the current identification, and the one proposed by the author.  No doubt their attributes are factors in the discussion, which the 3rd heading covers, and the 4th heading brings out the art aspect.

This avoids the problems you mention of psychology and artistic attribution.

Hope this helps.  It sounds like waffling, but there are often as many possible correct subject heading combinations as there are catalogers!

--Julia

~ Opinions expressed are my own, not necessarily that of my employer. ~

Julia Wisniewski

Cataloging Librarian

Library of Congress

101 Independence Ave SE