Dear ARLIS members,

The Professional Practices Committee (PPC) of the College Art Association asked the Art Libraries Society of North America (ARLIS/NA) and the Visual Resources Association to prepare an updated version of our joint document “Criteria for the Hiring and Retention of Visual Resources Professionals.” You may recall that our two organizations first collaborated on the original Criteria statement in 1995, and on a revised version in 2002 <http://www.vraweb.org/resources/general/criteria.html>.

I am pleased to inform you that the ARLIS and VRA Boards have authorized a joint task force to prepare an updated version of the Criteria for publication in the Standards and Guidelines section of the CAA web site <http://www.collegeart.org/guidelines/>, as well as  in the Professional Resources sections of the ARLIS/NA and VRA web sites. Allan Kohl and I, as the immediate Past-Presidents of the two organizations, were asked to serve as Co-Chairs. Other appointees are Margaret Webster, Linda Callahan, and Meghan Musolff; you’ll find our contact information listed below.

The Criteria Revision Task Force is investigating current practices and trends, taking into account recent research and statistical information as well as anecdotal evidence. The 2009 VRA White Paper and the 2007 VRA Professional Status Survey, along with similar documents and related research, will provide useful summaries of conditions and practices. In preparing its statement, the Task Force will attempt to balance administrative, library, and visual
resources perspectives.

It is our goal to address the Criteria to various constituencies, including administrators and faculty as well as library and visual resources professionals. The new version will acknowledge the development of many different administrative models, combinations of duties, and relationships with other reporting areas within our organizations. We hope to articulate standards clearly and concisely in areas of concern including educational qualifications and background experience, position titles and status, opportunities for advancement and professional development, appropriate levels of staffing and support commensurate with performance standards and expectations, and regular performance review, providing strong supporting rationale and evidence for each point.

The Criteria Revision Task Force members have followed with interest  the recent discussion thread on the VRA_L about visual resources futures. Please be assured that your suggestions and concerns are already being included in our deliberations. However, we also welcome your direct input, whether in the form of broad philosophical ideas, or specific and personal experiences. Feel free to contact any of the task force members individually or as a group.

Task Force members:
Amy Lucker (ARLIS/NA Co-Chair), New York University <[log in to unmask]>
Allan Kohl (VRA Co-Chair), Minneapolis College of Art & Design <[log in to unmask]>
Linda Callahan, Mount Holyoke College <[log in to unmask]>
Meghan Musolff, University of Michigan <[log in to unmask]>
Margaret Webster <[log in to unmask]>

On behalf of the Criteria Revision Task Force,
Amy Lucker

--
Amy Lucker