October 16 -30 I will be in the Miami area with my wife Jacqueline Hayden  (Professor of Film and Photo/ Hampshire College) to present our collaborative work with Cuban artists.

I would like to introduce you to Red Trillium Press and the  collaborative printmaking and book projects I have created with Cuban artists. I have worked in 8 different print shops in Havana since 2001.

My family and I returned to Havana in February 2010 for 3 months to continue our collaborations and teaching book arts workshops (gratis) at San Alejandro Art Academy, ISA and in private workshops. In Havana I worked with 15 Cuban artists to create PODER,  the 1st of three books exploring common themes of life in Cuba.

Earlier collaborations, with Cuban artists include El muro by Eduardo Hernåndez Santos – a photo book on the Cuban LGBT community in Havana and Almendrones, a book on the American car from the prospective of 10 Cuban printmakers.

On October 16 I will have a book signing for El muro at Books and Books- Coral Gable where I will speak about Mr. Hernández and his work, the difficulties encountered in creating these images, and the process of turning them into a book.

Hope to see every one who is in the Miami area.

Steve

Steven Daiber, a Massachusetts book artist, will speak at Books & Books, 265 Aragon Avenue, Coral Gables, FL. on October 16 at 7 PM about his book collaborations with Cuban artists.

Mr. Daiber will present his most recent book collaboration, El Muro, a collection of photographs by Eduardo Hernández Santos, documenting the Cuban LGBT community.  These indelible images are published here for the first time; they would never have seen the light of day in Cuba.  Mr. Daiber will speak about Mr. Hernández and his work, the difficulties encountered in creating these images, and the process of turning them into a book.

The pictures in El muro tell a remarkable story of human endurance and triumph.  “These photos are my tribute to these people, to their courage,” Hernández says.

Cuban-American novelist Eduardo Santiago wrote, “Gays, lesbians, bisexuals and a stunning array of transgenders face the lens with fierce defiance. . .  This book is an act of faith and courage.  I loved looking into those dark, defiant eyes.”

Steven Daiber is a book artist from Massachusetts. He has been to Cuba regularly since 2001 and has facilitated dialogue between Cuban and foreign artists. His books create real, metaphorical objects: palaces of the memory in which each element underscores a meaning.  He is the proprietor of Red Trillium Press, www.redtrilliumpress.com.

Eduardo Hernández Santos made these photographs of homosexuals, transgenders and crossdressers in the summer of 2005 at Havana’s seafront wall.  Working only at night, Hernández Santos developed his film with expired chemicals and printed his images on outdated photo paper. His darkroom was his bedroom. Once Hernández made his prints, he used transfer lettering to literally press onto his images the words of the late gay Cuban poet and playwright, Virgilio Piñera.

One night at 4:00am, on his way home from El Muro (The Wall), Hernández Santos was beaten and robbed of his camera. His project ended then and there.

El muro by Eduardo Hernández Santos is ten offset triptych photographs and two bilingual essays by the artist and by Cuban ethnographer Abel Sierra. The photographs and text are printed on luminous, mica coated paper. Three sheets of translucent magenta paper separate the photographs and essays. El Muro is 9" x 13.5" opening to 20". The structure of the book is semi-concealed wire-o binding serving the original triptych design.  The edition is 1200 copies.  A deluxe edition of 50 includes a signed copy of El Muro and two pigmented-ink portraits signed on verso in a clamshell box.

El muro/ The Wall by Eduardo Hernández Santos 2009

978-0-9816044-1-1            0-9816044-1-2

For more information: Steven Daiber         413 695 7990, [log in to unmask] www.redtrilliumpress.com.

Books & Books, 265 Aragon Avenue, Coral Gables, FL 33134, 305-444-9044