My Special Collections assistant who is a comic artist herself suggested
these names and a couple of useful links:

Black women cartoonists:

Jackie Ormes
Barbara Brandon-Croft
Marguerite Abouet (comics writer)
Jennifer Crute
Ashley Woods

Lambiek (an enormous database of international comics creator info. can
enter search terms such as "black" or "african american")
http://lambiek.net/artists/index.htm

http://www.mitaliblog.com/2009/08/black-women-kid-lit-illustrators.html

<http://www.mitaliblog.com/2009/08/black-women-kid-lit-illustrators.html>Hope
these help.