Hello everyone, a goal of the ARLIS/NA Education Subcommittee is to produce “continuing education activities and initiatives” for the Society.  As you know, we have, over the past year, brought you a series of popular Lunchtime Chats on themes important to many of you.  Working with the Professional Development Committee (PDC), we now have the capacity to provide these activities in a webinar format.  If you or your committee have an idea for a chat or webinar, please let us know.   We’d love to hear from you and would be happy to help you set up a program!

I’m very pleased to launch our Lunchtime Chats AND Webinars program for this fall/winter.  The schedule for the program is included below.  Details will be posted to the ARLIS/NA website soon, but we want to be sure you have this information now so that you can mark your calendars.

Please note that our first program this season is a chat happening next Friday, October 1st and is about “collaborative exhibitions in library spaces”.  The following week, on October 8th , we will host another chat about the conference held in D.C. this week “Yours, Mine, Ours: Leadership Through Collaboration”.  We encourage everyone, whether you attended this conference or not, to join us for a discussion about  issues of collaboration and leadership between libraries, archives, and museums.  Our webinars will feature speakers who will present on the ACRL visual literacy standards, strategies for outreach to studio art and design students, and open access in the art and design fields.

Additional details and instructions will be sent out closer to event dates!  Thank you to the members of the Education Subcommittee and to Sarah Falls, Chair of the Professional Development Committee, for their excellent work.

Heather Gendron
ARLIS/NA Education Subcommittee, Chair

Art Librarian, Sloane Art Library

UNC Chapel Hill

OCTOBER

Lunchtime Chat
October 1, 11am Pacific – 12pm Mountain – 1pm Central – 2pm Eastern
Breaking Out of the Glass Case: Collaborative Exhibitions in Library Spaces
Libraries can be powerful sites for collaboration with artists and art institutions. A wide range of visitors pass though our spaces every day, providing ample opportunities to connect people, art, and information. Our guest moderators – an artist/curator and a librarian – will discuss the ways in which they have created such interactions within their respective communities. Looking at case studies from public and academic libraries, this chat will offer ideas and insights to all who are interested in bringing art into the library.

Discussion Leaders:  Lorna Brown, artist and independent curator; Laura Graveline, Visual Arts Librarian, Dartmouth College

Related links:

ARLIS/NA Education Subcommittee contacts:  Heather Koopmans & Adrienne Lai ([log in to unmask])

Lunchtime Chat
October 8th,
11am Pacific – 12pm Mountain – 1pm Central – 2pm Eastern
A Post-conference chat: Yours, Mine, Ours: Leadership Through Collaboration
Join Günter Waibel and members of the ARLIS/NA Education Subcommittee to share ideas, inspirations, and questions stemming from this conference.  The conference investigated strategies for fostering collaboration within and between libraries, museums and archives.

Related links:  Yours, Mind, Ours:  Leadership Through Collaboration conference http://www.oclc.org/research/events/2010-09-20.htm

Discussion Leaders:  Günter Waibel, Program Officer, OCLC Research;  Heather Gendron, Art Librarian, Sloane Art Library, UNC Chapel Hill; Adrienne Lai, NCSU Libraries Fellow

ARLIS/NA Education Subcommittee contacts:  Heather Gendron  ([log in to unmask])& Adrienne Lai ([log in to unmask])

NOVEMBER

WEBINAR
November 5, 11am Pacific – 12pm Mountain – 1pm Central – 2pm Eastern
ACRL
Visual Literacy Standards
In this webinar, we will learn about recent initiatives to integrate visual literacy into the broad academic curriculum. How is visual literacy relevant in disciplines beyond the visual arts, art/architectural history and design, and how can it be applied to standards and instructional programs? Denise Hattwig will discuss the process of developing the ACRL/IRIG Visual Literacy Competency Standards and Juli Hinz and Alison Regan will discuss a campus-wide initiative to integrate Visual, Information, and Technology literacies across the curriculum at the University of Utah.

Speakers:  Denise Hattwig, Chair, ACRL/IRIG Visual Literacy Standards Task Force and Curator of Image Collections and Services, University of Washington, Bothell; Julie Hinz, Associate Director for Research and Learning Services and Alison Regan, Head of Education Services J. Willard Marriott Library, University of Utah

Related Links/Background reading:

University of Utah Visual, Information and Technology Literacy Task Force Report and Recommendations http://www.lib.utah.edu/static-content/marriottlibrary/files/pdf/vitl.pdf
ACRL/IRIG Visual Literacy Standards Task Force Blog:  http://acrlvislitstandards.wordpress.com/

ARLIS/NA Education Subcommittee contacts:  Stacy Brinkman ([log in to unmask]) & Adrienne Lai ([log in to unmask])

WEBINAR
November 19,
11am Pacific – 12pm Mountain – 1pm Central – 2pm Eastern
Reaching Visual Learners and Studio Art and Design Students
*Encore presentation*

Ellen Petraits will discuss concept mapping, a visual exercise she uses in library instruction at the Rhode Island School of Design (RISD) to help students identify and develop research topics in art and design courses. (*This is an encore presentation of Ellen’s ARLIS/NA 2010 Boston conference presentation.)  Peter Blank will discuss outreach strategies used at Stanford’s Art and Architecture Library to engage studio art students.

Speakers:  Ellen Petraits, Art Reference Librarian, Rhode Island School of Design; Peter Blank, Head Librarian, Art and Architecture Library, Stanford University

ARLIS/NA Education Subcommittee contact:  Heather Koopmans ([log in to unmask]) & Cara List ([log in to unmask])

DECEMBER

WEBINAR
December 3,
11am Pacific – 12pm Mountain – 1pm Central – 2pm Eastern
A Matter of Discipline: The State of Open Access in the Arts

*Encore presentation*
Providing a survey of open access publishing in the arts, Patrick Tomlin will give us an overview of the two dominant “flavors” of open publishing,  the open access  journal and the institutional or disciplinary repository, examining successful examples of both in disciplines like art history, architecture and design.  We will look at what obstacles are slowing the uptake of open access publishing by scholars in the arts, and what possible roles the art librarian might play in raising awareness of open access and other pressing scholarly communication issues.

Speaker: Patrick Tomlin, Head of the Art + Architecture Library, Virginia Tech
*This is an encore presentation of Patrick’s ARLIS/NA 2010 Boston conference presentation.