Hello all ARLIS/NA members,

This is an announcement (and invitation to you all) for the upcoming fall meeting of the Midstates Chapter. We’ll be meeting in Ann Arbor, Michigan on Oct. 22/23 and we welcome any ARLIS/NA member!  Our focus will be on museums (with visits to three museums, all with brand new additions) and new directions in the arts librarianship world.

If you’re an ARLIS/NA member from Iowa, Illinois, Indiana, Wisconsin, or Michigan, but haven’t yet joined the chapter  — we invite you to become a Midstates member and join us in Ann Arbor.  If you come from somewhere outside the glorious midwest and want to spend a beautiful fall weekend in Ann Arbor, we welcome you as well.  If you’re interested in coming let me know and I’ll be happy to send along more information to you.  An added bonus:  our VRA counterparts (The Great Lakes Chapter) will meet in Ann Arbor the same weekend — so we’re planning on some crossover time to meet each other in preparation for our Minneapolis collaboration in March 2011.

ARLIS/Midstates Fall 2010 Meeting
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Oct. 22 / Oct. 23, 2010

Friday, Oct. 22      Hatcher Library Gallery, room 100
Noon-1:00            Informal Lunch in the Gallery : bring your own sandwich (if you want to eat at a nearby restaurant and join us at 1, that’s fine too)
1:00-1:15              Gather and Introductions
1:30-2:30              Tour of University of Michigan Museum of Art : new addition and time to see collections (http://www.umma.umich.edu/)
2:45-3:30              Tour of Kelsey Archaeological Museum : new addition and time to explore  (http://www.lsa.umich.edu/kelsey)
3:45-5:00              ARLIS/Midstates Business Meeting (Hatcher Library Gallery)
6:00-8:00              dinner downtown

Saturday, Oct. 23    Duderstadt Center, room 1180
8:45-9:15             Welcome and introductions (bagels, coffee and juice)
9:15-10:45           Panel discussion with Ray Silverman and Jennifer Gustafson on directions museums are going in, new jobs in museums — what does it mean for libraries and librarians, VR collections, and VR curators?
11:00                    Depart for DIA, Detroit (http://www.dia.org/)
12:00-12:30        Tour of DIA Library (Maria Ketcham, DIA Librarian)
12:30-1:30           Lunch at museum @ caféDIA
1:30-3:30             Tour of museum (20-30 minute presentation of the new wing and then time on our own to explore the collections)
3:30                       Drive back to Ann Arbor and other points west

Best regards,
-- Rebecca

Rebecca Price
ARLIS/Midstates 2010 Chair
Architecture, Urban Planning and Visual Resources Librarian
Art, Architecture & Engineering Library
Univ. of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48109-2094
734.647.5274
http://www.lib.umich.edu/art-architecture-engineering-library