Hello,
   I'd like to ask other museum librarians about policies concerning auction catalogs. I recently had some catalogs returned to our library by a curator and noticed that the catalog was heavily annotated.  I'm sure this has been done before but this is the first time I am noticing it.  If it was a book, I would already know my answer, no writing in library books!  But since it is an auction catalog used for acquisition research (and very likely not to be used by anyone other than a specific curator) I realize I'm not sure if it's worth requesting that no writing happen in library material.  Do you allow curators to annotate auction catalogs in the library collection?

Thanks for any thoughts,
Alison

Alison L. Huftalen, MA, MLS
Head Librarian