Hello ARLIS folks,

A belated thank-you to everyone who responded to my query about philosophy books that might appeal to our design students. I've compiled the results below in case anyone else is interested.

-----------------------------------

What's more visually appealing than a video? We have purchased a lot of DVDs from Films for the Humanities, and they have many philosophy films. I just spoke to our philosophy professor recently, and he really liked them. Here's a link to their philosophy collection:

http://ffh.films.com/Subject.aspx?psid=620&SubjectID=623

-----------------------------------

Several people recommended the "For Beginners" series. The publisher is variously identified as Writers and Readers, or For Beginners. The series is presented in a graphic novel/ comic book format - the books are completely illustrated. There are lots of titles to choose from in this series, including overviews of eastern/ western philosophy, postmodernism, existentialism, etc., as well as individual philosophers.

Here is a Google books preview of "Philosophy for Beginners":
http://books.google.com/books?id=_hIWb6Z8mX0C&printsec=frontcover&dq=philosophy+for+beginners&hl=en&ei=jq5aTNKELIP_8Abfk9DuAg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CCwQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q&f=false

Here is a link to a few WorldCat records:
http://www.worldcat.org/search?qt=hotseries&q=se%3A%22A+Writers+and+Readers+beginners+documentary+comic+book.%22

-----------------------------------

I really liked the Action Philosophers! comic series for explaining a lot of complex ideas pretty well (http://www.eviltwincomics.com/ap.html) and a philosophy friend recommended "The Simpsons and Philosophy": http://www.amazon.com/Simpsons-Philosophy-Homer-Popular-Culture/dp/0812694333

-----------------------------------

The "Introducing..." series of non-fiction comics is great:  http://www.introducingbooks.com/book

It's a series of comic-book style intros to academic topics.  Many are about philosophers or concepts in philosophy.  The series is inspired by the 1970s books by the Mexican cartoonist/intellectual Rius whose Cuba for Beginners and Marx for Beginners were probably the first non-fiction comis of this type to hit the mass market in the U.S.

-----------------------------------

Kandinsky, Wassily. Concerning the Spiritual in Art
Klee, Paul. Pedagogical Sketchbook
Tolstoy, Leo. What is Art?
Koestler, Arthur. The Act of Creation

-----------------------------------

I have been getting some of Oxford University Press's "A Short Introduction" series.  The one on basic philosophy is very good, I think, covering the basics in rather simple, but not condescending language.  Check it out at http://www.us.oup.com/us/catalog/general/subject/Philosophy/History/?view=usa&ci=9780192854216.  There are other, more focused titles in the group that might also be useful.

I also like anything by Simon Blackburn (also Oxford Press), especially Think, Truth and Being Good.  Clear concise language, though not terribly "visual".

-----------------------------------

Several people recommended the novel Sophie's World:
http://www.amazon.com/Sophies-World-History-Philosophy-Classics/dp/0374530718/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1281030316&sr=8-1

-----------------------------------

Coincidentally, I just picked up a philosophy book at my local Barnes & Noble store that might be appropriate. One of our staff members happens to have a PhD in philosophy and he teaches part-time at one of the local colleges; when I showed him the book, he thought it would be useful for undergraduates -- but its simplified format made him think that his school would probably frown on him assigning it as a textbook for his students. So it might not be appropriate...

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/30-Second-Philosophies/Barry-Loewer/e/9781435109575/?itm=1&USRI=30+second+philosophies+the+50+most+thought+provoking

But even though the concepts are presented in very simple terms, it seems very intelligently written, and I think it might be useful as an undergraduate student's first introduction to various philosophical concepts. The book is part of a series of titles that all begin with "30-Second...", the point being that the text describing each theory presented can be read in about 30 seconds. It may be too basic for your purposes, but for someone without much background in philosophy, I think it might be very useful.

-----------------------------------

I would suggest the books by and edited by Gyorgy Kepes. True, a bit dated, and not necessarily the type of "philosophy and values" you are describing, but Kepes did delve deeply into the human condition, why design matters, how art, science, and technology can interact positively to better the human experience. If you can work in a bit of historiography on the literature of design and design pedagogy, Kepes is required reading.
Also, the writings and work of Frederick Sommer would fit in nicely here.
These two would help provide the necessary link between the questions, "What is philosophy?" and "Philosophy, what does it have to do with me being a designer?"

-----------------------------------

My first recommendation would be to purchase one or two sets of The Teaching Company's "Great Minds of the Western Intellectual Tradition" (3rd edition), on sale until August 19th for $179.95 (regular price $699.95).  Put the set(s) on reserve for students to use in the library.  This is a DVD set of 84 half-hour lectures on all the philosophers you have named, plus dozens more.  I own the set, and I have taken courses at the University of Texas from 2 of the 12 professors who deliver the lectures, have heard three others lecture in person, including Kathleen Higgins, for whom I was an academic assistant at UT in 1984; her husband, the late Robert Solomon, is another of the teachers in the series.  By the way, he appears as a rotoscoped version of himself in Richard Linklater's film "Waking Life," which itself would be a marvelous way to get visually oriented students thinking about philosophical issues.

The Teaching Company can be reached at www.teach12.com<http://www.teach12.com> or 1-800-TEACH-12.

-----------------------------------

When Architecture prof Ben Jacks and I co-taught the Interior Design Theory course at Miami University, we used the following reading list:

Cranz, Galen The Chair: Rethinking Culture, Body, and Design.  New York: W.W. Norton, 1998.

Gallagher, Winifred.  The Power of Place: How Our Surroundings Shape Our Thoughts, Emotions, and Actions.  New York: Poseidon Press, 1993.

Hall, Mildred R., and Edward Hall.  The Fourth Dimension in Architecture: The Impact of Building on Man's Behavior: Eero Saarinen's Administrative Center for Deere & Company, Moline, Illinois.  Santa Fe, N.M.: Sunstone Press, [1975]

Heschong, Lisa. Thermal Delight in Architecture. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press,  1979.

Lynch, Kevin.  The Image of the City. Cambridge, MA:  Technology Press, 1960.

Strunk, William. The Elements of Style, With Revisions, an Introduction, and a Chapter on Writing by E.B. White. 4th ed.  Boston: Allyn and Bacon, 2000.

The Gallagher book and the Heschong book are probably the best ones for your purposes.  Heschong especially requires students to think about human relationships and the meaning of home and family, etc.

-----------------------------------

It is rather dated [c.1959] but still useful, so you might look at
Bertrand Russell's "Wisdom of the West; a historical survey of Western
philosophy in its social and political setting," which has copious and
encyclopedic illustrations which should appeal to visual learners.

-----------------------------------

Thinkers for Architects series from Routledge:
http://www.routledge.com/books/series/thinkers_for_architects_THINKARCH/

Here is a thesis that presents a curriculum unit for using art to teach philosophy : ted.coe.wayne.edu/sse/finding/Lindholm.doc

Thanks again!!!
Lisa

---
Lisa Hazel Schattman