From: ARLIS/NA List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Leigh Gates
Sent: Thursday, August 19, 2010 10:11 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [ARLIS-L] iPads in the Library: Summary

Thanks to all who responded to my inquiry yesterday  about lending iPads loaded with textbooks in our library. Here is a summary of the replies, plus some considerations to keep in mind:

Harrye B. Lyons Design Library, NCSU Libraries, loans iPads; the main library loans Kindles and Sony e-book readers loaded with content

Notre Dame University has a business class for which students are loaned iPads loaded with course readings. The library will experiment this fall with films from iTunes loaded onto iPads for viewing film reserves.

Art and Architecture Library, University of Kansas, checks out e-book readers

Considerations:
Security
Compliance with copyright and licensing requirements
Availability of content

Some interesting articles and links:

"May a library lend e-book readers?"
http://blog.librarylaw.com/librarylaw/2010/06/may-a-library-lend-e-book-readers.html

Kindle Review
http://ireaderreview.com/2009/06/16/libraries-lending-kindle/

Leigh Gates
Director of Library Services
Harrington College of Design
200 W. Madison St.
Chicago, IL 60606
312.697.8021 P
312.697.3318 Front Desk

www.harringtoncollege.com<http://www.harringtoncollege.com>

Mail submissions to [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> For information about joining ARLIS/NA see: http://www.arlisna.org/join.html Send administrative matters (file requests, subscription requests, etc) to [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> ARLIS-L Archives and subscription maintenance: http://lsv.arlisna.org Questions may be addressed to list owner (Judy Dyki) at: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>