A Message from the ARLIS/NA President:

The weather was beautiful in Minneapolis the day I arrived on July 28.
I returned the end of July from participating in the Joint VRA &
ARLIS/NA Conference Planning Advisory Committee meetings.  These
meetings were to plan the 2nd Joint VRA & ARLIS/NA Conference to be held
in Minneapolis, Minnesota on March 24-28, 2011.  Representatives from
the VRA & the ARLIS/NA Executive Boards and Chris Roper, ARLIS/NA
Association and Conference Manager, met with the Local Twin Cities
Conference Planning Group.  There was a positive spirit of collaboration
evident throughout our gatherings. This is reflective of the joint
conference theme "Collaboration: Building Bridges in the 21st Century."

The 2011 joint conference will be held at the downtown Minneapolis
Hilton, a centrally located and elegant venue.  The hotel contract has
been successfully renegotiated and a joint conference agreement between
VRA & ARLIS/NA was signed by both myself and Maureen Burns, VRA
President.  I'm pleased to report that the contract for the Welcome
Reception has also been signed.  The reception will take place at the
Walker Art Center following the joint convocation to be held at the
Minneapolis Hilton.

A thank you goes to all of the Twin Cities planners who are doing such a
phenomenal job in bringing us a joint conference.  I would like to take
this opportunity to thank the four conference planning co-chairs.  A big
thank you to Rebecca Moss and Brian Shelburne for their leadership as
Local Arrangements Co-Chairs and to Heidi Raatz and Jessica McIntyre as
Conference Program Co-Chairs.  There were over 80 conference proposals
sent to the Program Co-Chairs.  Thank you to everyone who sent proposals
in--the Program Co-Chairs are going to pack as much content into the
conference as possible. So plan on spending quality time at the
conference with an expanded network of like-minded colleagues in this
fantastic city.

As your President, I would ask that each of you mark March 24-28, 2011
on your calendars.  This conference will be a unique, exciting, and
collaborative joint conference.  Best, Mari Russell

Marilyn Russell, Ph.D.

Library Director

President ARLIS/NA

Haskell Indian Nations University