From: Paul Glassman <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>>
Date: Fri, Aug 27, 2010 at 10:05 AM
Subject: Re: [ARLIS-L] Chapter Treasurers questions
To: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

Dear Sue,

Thanks for posing this important question--one that will have relevance to all ARLIS/NA chapters, I imagine.  Here's an answer to the question from the IRS (
http://www.irs.gov/charities/article/0,,id=169250,00.html):
Annual Electronic Filing Requirement for Small Exempt Organizations - Form 990-N (e-Postcard)
Small tax-exempt organizations whose annual gross receipts<http://www.irs.gov/charities/article/0,,id=177784,00.html> are normally $25,000 or less<http://www.irs.gov/charities/article/0,,id=177338,00.html> may be required to electronically submit Form 990-N, also known as the e-Postcard, unless they choose to file a complete Form 990 or Form 990-EZ.
If you do not file your e-Postcard on time, the IRS will send you a reminder notice but you will not be assessed a penalty for late filing the e-Postcard. However, an organization that fails to file required e-Postcards (or information returns - Forms 990 or 990-EZ) for three consecutive years will automatically lose its tax-exempt status<http://www.irs.gov/charities/article/0,,id=217087,00.html>. The revocation of the organization's tax-exempt status will not take place until the filing due date of the third year.
Note: Small organizations at risk of losing their tax-exempt status because they failed to file for three consecutive years should review IRS guidance<http://www.irs.gov/charities/article/0,,id=225704,00.html> to help them come back into compliance.
You may wish to direct the question to Vanessa Kam, the ARLIS/NA Chapters Liaison, in the event that the Executive Board may want to consider a recommendation to all chapters:

Who Must File
Most small tax-exempt organizations with gross receipts that are normally $25,000 or less must file the e-Postcard. Exceptions to this requirement include:

 *   Organizations that are included in a group return<http://www.irs.gov/charities/article/0,,id=177799,00.html>,
 *   Churches<http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p1828.pdf>, their integrated auxiliaries, and conventions or associations of churches, and
 *   Organizations required to file a different return<http://www.irs.gov/charities/article/0,,id=218171,00.html>
You may want to refer your good question to

Chapters Liaison
Vanessa Kam
Head Librarian
Art + Architecture + Planning
Irving K. Barber Learning Centre
University of British Columbia Library
1961 East Mall, Suite 314
Vancouver, BC V6T 1Z1 Canada
Work: (604) [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

in the event that Vanessa feels there would be benefits to asking the Executive Board to consider guidelines on the matter for the chapters.

Best,

--PG

Paul Glassman
Director of the Library | Associate Professor
Felician College
262 South Main Street | Lodi, New Jersey 07644
Telephone 201.559.6070 | Facsimile 973.777.3917
[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> | www.felician.edu/library<http://www.felician.edu/library>