Hi Lisa,
This may not be quite what you are looking for, but I would suggest the
books by and edited by Gyorgy Kepes. True, a bit dated, and not
necessarily the type of "philosophy and values" you are describing, but
Kepes did delve deeply into the human condition, why design matters, how
art, science, and technology can interact positively to better the human
experience. If you can work in a bit of historiography on the literature
of design and design pedagogy, Kepes is required reading.
Also, the writings and work of Frederick Sommer would fit in nicely here.
These two would help provide the necessary link between the questions,
"What is philosophy?" and "Philosophy, what does it have to do with me
being a designer?"
Best,
Peter

Peter P. Blank