specific object / david platzker

presents

Stairway to Heaven:

Paul McMahon, Matt Mullican, James Welling,

1970-1976

an exhibition to be held at Susan Inglett Gallery

Closing July 23, 2010

Specific Object / David Platzker is pleased to announce the opening of
"Stairway to Heaven: Paul McMahon, Matt Mullican, James Welling,
1970-1976."  The exhibition, on view at Susan Inglett Gallery, will
close on July 23, 2010.

In this project Specific Object presents the work of a trio of artists
that emerged from the fertile ground of Southern California art schools
- McMahon from Pomona College in Claremont; Mullican and Welling from
Cal Arts in Valencia. All three appeared shortly thereafter in New York
joining a core group of artists labeled "The Pictures Generation." The
members formed a loose confederacy recently explored in the exhibition,
"The Pictures Generation, 1974-1984" held at the Metropolitan Museum of
Art Spring 2009.

The work selected here represents an important moment in the
development of these artists as they began to stake out their
respective territories and develop what became their mature work. While
both Mullican's and Welling's work was widely exhibited from the 1980s
onward, McMahon chose to diverge from the traditional path by becoming
a comedian, a musician, and small town entrepreneur in Woodstock, NY,
only to reemerge with the opening of the exhibition at the Met.

"The strategy of 'what's next' seemed to be on all our minds. How can we
make art after conceptual art? The last page in the book of modernism
seemed to have been printed. So we went into the mirror and found a lot
of loose ends." -- Matt Mullican

"I liked art that questioned Art. My early work was about this. After
several years I realized that there was something more. Art could dare
to venture into the place where meaning was born. I think I felt like a
missionary spreading the gospel of post-conceptual art. A new way of
thinking." -- Paul McMahon

Works in the exhibition include collage, drawings, photographs and
photographically based works executed 1970 to 1976 forming an expansive
view of three unique artists.

The exhibition will be on view at Susan Inglett Gallery located at 522
West 24th Street Tuesday to Saturday 10 AM to 6 PM. For additional
information, please contact Susan Inglett Gallery at 212.647.9111, fax
212.647.9333 or [log in to unmask]

Read The New Yorker's review of the exhibition:

www.newyorker.com/arts/events/art/stairway-to-heaven-inglett

This exhibition coincides with the show, also organized by Specific
Object, titled "Richard Prince: Pre-Appropriation Works, 1971 - 1974,"
on view at Specific Object, through September 10, 2010.

Specific Object / David Platzker and Susan Inglett Gallery gratefully
acknowledge the cooperation of Tracy Williams, Ltd. and David Zwirner
Gallery.

For more information regarding Specific Object please visit its
website: www.specificobject.com or email [log in to unmask]

specific object / david platzker
601 west 26 street, room m285
new york, ny 10001

212.242.6253 tel.

www.specificobject.com

If you prefer not to receive future e-mails, please send us an e-mail
with subject line REMOVE.

 ------Multipart-Boundary-xxZzZYnd2SHrQ--- Content-Type: text/html;
charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit