July 16, 2010, New York City

Oxford University Press is pleased to announce the acquisition of the
Benezit Dictionary of Artists, a landmark multivolume reference in art
history.  A biographical dictionary of painters, sculptors, draughtsmen,
and engravers in 14 volumes, the French edition released in 1999 and the
English version followed (with some updates) in 2006 (the first edition
came out in three volumes in 1911-1920).  Library Journal notes of the
Benezit, "This authoritative and useful work is the standard
biographical listing of artists, outdoing similar resources in both size
and scope."

"Editis congratulates Oxford University Press and Editions First-Gründ
for this transaction. The Grove Dictionary of Art's publisher is
certainly the most suitable home for the Benezit," noted Alain Kouck,
Editis CEO, "which has always been a key work for art amateurs.  I hope
now the Benezit will be as successful abroad as it was in France."

With entries on over 175,000 artists including 5,000+ new and updated
entries, the Benezit is one of the most comprehensive and definitive
resources on artists. Entries are clear and concise, and often contain
auction records, museum holdings, and bibliographies. "Setting the
Benezit Dictionary apart is its coverage of obscure artists, and the
inclusion of images of artists' signatures, monograms, and stamps," said
Tanya Laplante, Executive Editor for Online Reference Products at OUP.
"Valued for both its wide coverage of lesser-known artists and its deep
coverage of artists occupying the core pantheon of art, the Benezit is
an essential resource for scholars, librarians, museum curators, art
dealers, and collectors."

"OUP is honored to carry on as steward to the Benezit Dictionary of
Artists," Casper Grathwohl, Online and Reference Publisher at OUP said,
"When Editis approached us we immediately saw the potential for OUP to
bring the Dictionary into the digital age and take its place among the
select electronic resources that sit at that heart of the serious art
research community. With Benezit and Grove Art under one roof, we are
excited by the growing role OUP can play in maintaining a stable canon
of biographical content to aid in the development of scholarship."

"I am ecstatic that the Benezit found such a prestigious home," said
Editions First-Gründ CEO Vincent Barbare. "I am sure The Benezit
Dictionary of Artists will continue to grow and thrive at Oxford
University Press and will serve as an invaluable reference by more
amateur and professionals in the art community."

CHOICE reviews noted: "Benezit's work has served as a mainstay for art
historians, researchers, collectors, and dealers. Best known for its
references to obscure artists, along with samples of their signatures or
marks, it is the book of first (and last!) resort in tracking down
biographical information."

Oxford will distribute both English and French editions of the Benezit
Dictionary of Artists.  For more information regarding these editions,
or to request sample editions for possible review, please contact:

Christian Purdy
Director of Publicity
Oxford University Press
198 Madison Ave.