MIAMI-DADE PUBLIC LIBRARY SYSTEM

Florida Arcane

from The Society for the Preservation

of Lost Things and Missing Time

June 24 - September 19, 2010

Main Library, 2nd floor exhibition space

101 W. Flagler Street, Miami - 305-375-2665

[log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>  / 305-375-5048 / www.mdpls.org
<http://www.mdpls.org>

Reception: Thursday, June 24, 6:30-8:30pm

The Society for the Preservation of Lost Things and Missing Time
presents objects overlooked in history's master narrative. This special
installation of photographs, archival materials, and objects documenting
the odd, arcane and archaic in the State of Florida is curated by
TSPLTMT's Executive Director, Solomon Graves. The exhibition includes
displays on Jacqueline Cochran, the Space Coast Polymath; the Archives
of Dr. Eugene Birchwood, documenting his involvement with the Godsped
Airstream Community; and brand new images of a failed city in the
Okefenokee Swamp!

About The Society for the Preservation of Lost Things and Missing Time:

Our Mission is to Prevent the Loss of Fringe Thought, to keep lit the
Fire of Impossibility,

to find that which lay Undiscovered beneath Dust and Sediment,/ out of
Sight and Forgotten./

Missing time was recorded and we are witness after the fact./ Its
Products Whisper to Us across Timespace./It is our Mission to Thwart the
all too common Demise of Things,/ Stories, Ideas, which may not fit
History's Master Narrative./ We crave the Archaic and Arcane, the
Strange, the Paranormal,/ the Outer Edge, the Little Known , those
Things imbued / with Magical Properties, the Folkloric, the Homemade,
the Story-told, /the Other World-ly./Left-Field.

Paredolia

Derek Buckner

June 24 - September 26, 2010

Main Library, 1st floor exhibition space

New York artist Derek Buckner works obsessively on series of paintings
in which he takes on a specific subject (highway, truck, landscape),
shown from a birds' eye perspective, and explores its variation on a
theme. This exhibition features one of Buckner's latest series of oil
paintings portraying images of UFOs as the dominant feature; depictions
of the cityscape, buildings, and the earth are implied rather than a
central figure. The dreamy yet haunting works explore the poetics of the
unfamiliar and accentuate the ambiguity and psychological impact of the
unknown.

About the artist:

Derek Buckner grew up in Brooklyn, New York. He went on to study at
Vassar College and received his B.F.A. from The School of the Art
Institute of Chicago. He has exhibited in New York, Los Angeles,
Chicago, Italy, Mexico, East Hampton, and Sante Fe. His work is in
numerous private and corporate collections in this country and abroad.
This is his first solo exhibition in Miami, Fl.