Hey Jennifer,
One other idea to accompany all the large white board suggestions is "idea paint." It is high quality, dry erase board paint.

http://www.ideapaint.com/

My buddy back in MN has used this paint in his house to great success. It would be rad in an art library setting for students to study with and providing an art space with an assortment of dry erase markers!

Sincerely,
David Parisi
2011 MLS Student, UNC-Chapel Hill