Hi Jennifer,

I can fill you in a bit on the many enhancements we did as a part of the renovation of the UCSD Arts Library. Just FYI Trish Rose interviewed me a while back for a future VRA bulletin article (I am reviewing right now!), and I am in the process of writing an article about transforming the UCSD Arts Library for a future Art Doc article (winter 2010).

In summary, here are the highlights of what we did to our space:

-          Combined three arts service desks into one

-          Created very open floor plans for both the staff and public areas, including some “transparency” between both areas (installed large panels of colored art glass)

-          Opened up our floor to the various natural light sources we have (interior gardens, glass curtain walls) and also insured light was maximized for the staff area

-          Built several new studios: audio, still image, moving image (these are primarily for digital production) and a film preservation studio

-          Created various zones for the users: lounge chairs near windows with lots of electrical access, a relatively “quiet” carrel zone, an open area with tables (also with lots of electricity) for group interaction

-          Moved film and audio public workstations into open space (no longer in an enclosed room)

-          Installed compact shelving for almost all (95%) of our collections, including media and film. Built a film & tape vault (compact shelving, enhanced HVAC). We could do this because we are on the ground floor.

-          Planned and implemented a new infrastructure for the delivery of media (audio & moving image) from an equipment rack behind our desk to the public workstations

-          Built 3 new group viewing rooms (51” high def LED monitors) with media delivered from our rack

-          Consolidated music, art and film reference collections

-          This summer we will be renovating our seminar room, introducing more flexible furniture, new high def digital projector, large white boards on walls

-          We also conducted a wayfinding study and will be installing new signage this summer

-          We are starting to add new art and will be acquiring additional display cases to our public space

Hope this helps, and I will let the list know when the 2 articles are published.

Leslie