Hello Arlisians,

Here at CU-Boulder we're trying to set a policy regarding location of books on Asian art/architecture in the vernacular.  In our case, this is mostly books in Chinese, Japanese, and Korean.  We have both an Art/Arch Collection and an East Asian Collection--two distinct locations that are shelved separately from the rest of our main stacks.  Currently, we have a number of books in both locations, but we've never had a specific policy to guide these decisions.  I'm currently working with fellow CU-Boulder librarians to set up such a policy.

Here's the list of criteria we've come up with to help guide location decisions:
1. fund used to purchase the item
2. call number range
3. heavily illustrated or mostly text?
4. dual (English and C/J/K) or single language?
5. faculty request (e.g. item purchased for a specific faculty member in Art or Asian Studies)

Has anyone else faced this sort of decision before?  Have suggestions for more criteria? Or perhaps items listed above that might not be as useful?  At your institution, how are YOU making these decisions?  Please feel free to send me your feedback, experiences, etc.

Thanks,
MK

Meredith Kahn
Art & Architecture Librarian