Hi Sylvia:
We have kind of an odd setup with overdue fines, but in my opinion it works well, so I thought I'd put my two cents in. We don't charge daily over due fines. Instead, we give students a 60 day grace period, but if their books are more than 60 days overdue, they owe us a $25 processing fee, plus $100 per book (unless they return the book, and then they just owe the $25).  They get sent notices about the bills by email when the books are ten days overdue so if they've got a few books checked out and they get a notice saying they will owe us $500 or so  it really gets their attention, but they've still got another 50 days to get the book back without actually being charged anything.   We moved to this system from more usual daily overdue fines because we felt that all the time that staff took dealing with $2 and $3 payments wasn't really cost effective.  We do charge daily fines on reserves and recalls, but we just use recalls for things like books that need to go on reserve.  Here's the official notice:
http://www.lib.ncsu.edu/borrow/overdue.html

We don't have any artists (or architects or designers) monographs either on reference or 'in library use only'.   Students here really want to be able to scan things, and so even our reference books can be checked out for a couple hours if they want to take them out.  I find we don't really have problems with books getting cut up or stolen if people know they can check out anything they want to use.  Although we did just get a great new scanner, and so people are scanning a lot of things in the library now.  It's a Zeutschel overhead scanner; it's about as fast as a photocopier but it's free, unlike the copiers, and it saves the images to the patron's flash drive or memory stick.  Here's the info on that:
http://www.zeutschel.com/products/book_copiers_os12000_bc.html

Let me know if you have questions-

Karen DeWitt, Director
Harrye B. Lyons Design Library
NCSU Libraries
Campus Box 7701
Raleigh, NC 27695-7701
919-513-3860

>>> Sylvia Welsh <[log in to unmask]> 6/4/2010 9:28 AM >>>
Hi all,

While I am still getting my bearings at my new job I was wondering
what your collective wisdom is on the following:

1) overdue fines - charge them (if so, how much)? don't charge them?

2) does anyone keep a large number of artists monographs as
'reference' as opposed to 'in library use only'? Am I being too picky
in regards to semantics?

Thanks,

Sylvia