Hello:

My name is Heather Davis and I am a librarian liaison for a faculty member creating an ART 100: Art Appreciation course as part of an Open Course Library Project in Washington State. As you might guess, there are tons of copyright nightmares with images and deliverable content in the standalone course package that must result from such a project.

The faculty member has (recently and over time) taken photographs of artworks in museums, galleries, etc. and would like to incorporate these images into the course package. All of the course content in the Open Course Library Project will bear a Creative Commons basic attribution license, which would also be applied to these photographs of artworks he would like to include in the course.

This brings me to my question. Does the faculty member need to clear copyright with the institutions and/or artists whose work appear in the photographs? While the photographs, in and of themselves, belong to the faculty member and depict an image and composition that he chose, does he still need to clear the copyright for the actual work?

Let me know if I need to clarify this question. It's a sticky one!

Thanks in advance!

Heather Davis, MLIS
Librarian - Applied Design
11605 132nd Avenue NE