Hi All,
It's been a couple years now since we switched from Dewey to LC. We're
currently
attempting to create a poster that uses language that promotes
successful browsing in stacks the for the Arts.
I'm wondering  if any of you have  created such a thing for your users
that diverts
successfully from the oftentimes too general language of  some of the
Subclasses- notably  N and NX schedules.

I'm interested to see what people have done with any of the schedules
not just N's and NX's - but those
are particularly problematic.  But, using the N's as an example, for
art, it looks as though one can pull out pools that make sense out of
the general morass, such as
art history (to a point chronologically), but then categories such as
Exhibitions  N4390-5098 are not useful
as that infers that all exhibition catalogs must be in that section, NOT.
For some of the interdisciplinary  "catch basins" as Sherman once called
them,
I'm noting N6490 and  History numbers N6486-6488.

We don't want to make the lists too long for the poster to be effective,
but the tendency is to make the
lists longer in order to clarify the general language, ugh.

Anyway, lists, ideas, comments will be appreciated.

Mo

Mo Dawley
Art and Drama Librarian
Senior Librarian
Carnegie Mellon University
Hunt Library-Arts Library and Special Collections