Dear All,

The publication of issue #20 of works & conversations prompts me to send a note out.

The issue features a long and wonderful interview with a close student [Dean Schwarz] and later lifelong friend of the important potter Marguerite Wildenhain. Wildenhain was one of the original students in the very first Weimar Bauhaus in 1919.  Later she became a foundational figure in the American studio pottery movement. Also featured is a review of Dean Schwarz's huge and wonderful book "Marguerite Wildenhain and the  Bauhaus" a joy for anyone who is serious potter or a true fan of studio pottery. It's also a great resource for scholars. [Schwarz went on to his own distinguished career as a potter and founded his own pottery school in Iowa.]

As always, the issue is full of great material, but the reason I'm sending this note is because I am beginning to get low on some of my back issues. What does that mean? It means I have maybe 55 of #15, about 75 of #16, about 35 of issue #18. The others are in better supply. Yes, it's self-serving to send out this information, but on the other hand, this is a serious magazine with exceptional content. I think it will stand the test of time and I hope it will find a home in libraries. As I've mentioned on this list before, subscribers include the Met in NY, SFMOMA, LAMOCA the Hirsch Library, RISD, Chicago Institute of Art, SVA, Columbia, Stanford, UCB etc.

Although works & conversations has not yet been quite discovered, so to speak, the time may well come and then libraries may want a full collection of its issues.

I know that funds are in short supply and I am willing to discuss such issues. This is really about not having these issues just disappear.

Thanks,

Richard Whittaker, editor
works & conversations
www.conversations.org