Dear Collective ARLIS/NA Wisdom,

I am assisting a faculty member in an artist search for information on a German immigrant artist names Gustav Adolph Kurringer.  Here is the quote that started the search (I don't know the source):

"In the first half of the 20th century we [The Dominican sisters of St. Ursula Cloister (Kloster) in Augsburg, Germany] had a sister whose name was Antonia Kurringer.  Her father is said to have painted a famous picture in Philadelphia (Townhall?).  The painter's name and address:
Gustav Adolph Kurringer
Brand Wine St. 1341
Philadelphia.
He emigrated in 1872."

She has contacted Philadelphia City Hall, the Phil. Museum of Art, Academy of Fine Arts, Atwater-Kend Museum, and Whinthur Mansion, with no success.

So far, I am also drawing almost a complete blank.  He doesn't show up in any of the places I have looked (Benezit, BHA, ArtAbstracts, AskArt, German Immigran Artists in America (Merrill, 1997), web searches).  The only thing I have located is an 1880 US census record for him, his wife and a daughter, in which he has been listed as a portrait painter.

Many Thanks,

Jessica Bozeman Hronchek

Reference, Instruction,
and Humanities Librarian