Forward from Ray Anne Lockard -- Very sad!!

-----Original Message-----
From: Consortium of Art and Architectural Historians [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Fraser, Elisabeth
Sent: Friday, May 21, 2010 10:10 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Closure of the Wellcome Center for the History of Medicine

As I believe many art historians must have the occasion to work in the Wellcome Institute in London, I thought it worthwhile to forward this message to the list.

Elisabeth Fraser
Professor of Art History
University of South Florida
Dear Colleagues,

The Wellcome Trust Centre for the History
of Medicine at University College London, the former Wellcome Institute,
is due to be closed down within the next two years.  This will be a
major loss for historians and physicians working on the history of
medicine.  An online petition has been set up in response, which you may
want to sign.

The petition is as follows:

To:  UCL/The Wellcome Trust

On March 31st the Wellcome Trust and UCL announced the closure of the
Wellcome Trust Centre for the History of Medicine. This decision came in
the middle of negotiations concerning the normal quinquennial review of
funding for the Centre. The proposal to close the Centre was made by a
handful of persons within the Wellcome Trust without, as far as is
known, the involvement of any historian of medicine. We call upon the
Trust to reconsider its decision, reinstate the independent peer review
process, and permit any subsequent Centre to remain within the Wellcome
building. We call upon UCL to maintain the history of medicine as a
visible entity within College serving both historians and medics.

And here's the link:

http://www.petitiononline.com/WTCHOM/

Ellen Amster
University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee