Dear Collective Wisdom,

I’m hoping you will be able to provide me with some background information and statistics as I prepare to move and expand the Barnes Foundation art library. As you may know, the main art collection of my institution will be moving to a new building some 20 minutes away in 2012. While our archival collection, rare books collection, and circulating horticulture library (all managed by the Archives and Library Department) will remain at our current campus, there will be a nice space in the new building to house our circulating art library. This collection will be on the small side, and will serve our staff, students, docents, and faculty. In the future, it is possible that this new library will also be open to the public.

Our department will split/expand/re-invent itself – whatever you want to call it. The three challenges that I have been asked to investigate are a) how to move an art library, b) how best to operate the new art library in this new and unfamiliar setting, and c) what staffing is necessary – and justifiable – for the art library, and for our department as a whole; even thornier, what budget and salary structure is appropriate.

To that end, I’d appreciate any information any of you care to share with me: operational policies/rules, experiences and reports on moving collections, staffing structure and job titles, departmental budgets, and salaries if possible (understanding that these last two can be sensitive). Any information you share will, of course, be kept confidential and not shared with anyone except those staff and board members at my institution charged with assessing the future of our library.

Thanks to everyone!

Katy

Katy Rawdon | Archivist and Librarian
The Barnes Foundation
| 300 North Latch's Lane | Merion, PA  19066
Ph:  (610) 667-0290 ext. 1048