Dear collective brain,

My library has approximately 60 current journal subscription, and another 20
or serials for which we have back issues but no current subscription.
Although it varies by title, we generally keep 2-5 years of back issues. The
back issues circulate. (The current issues are for in-library use only.)
None of our back issues are bound.

We recently put in a brand-new ILS (Koha, with hosting and support from
PTFS), and one of my summer projects is to catalog the journals. The
standard seems to be that each journal title gets a single bib record, with
the run held by the library somewhere in that record (July 1980-present,
Vol. 3 No. 1 to present, etc.).

However ... since the journals circulate, it would be nice to be able to
check them out as if they were books or videos: I scan the barcode, and then
Koha keeps track of due dates and fines and sends out automatic email
reminders. That would involve barcoding and creating an item record for
every issue, which sounds rather daunting. Also, it means that I'm barcoding
items that I only expect to keep for 2-5 years.

Do any of you have circulating journal collections? How do you handle them?

Thanks,
Lisa

---
Lisa Hazel Schattman