I want to take a couple of minutes to let this community know where we are with BHA:

1. We are restructuring the current BHA dataset to provide better indexing. This means we are re-processing and reloading all 425K records and reindexing while the system remains live for you to use.

2. We are mapping and writing code to convert the RILA backfile (1975-1989) and will have this loaded into the system sometime this month.

3. We are working on a Z39.50 configuration so that institutions can make BHA a target for a federated search application.

4. We are exploring ways to provide OpenURL connectivity with BHA. Because BHA is an open access database now, there is no authentication taking place at our end. A simple and straightforward eResource/SFX-like button will not work for external users as the database doesn't know who you are or where you are coming from. We do not intend to do any sort of IP authentication or manage logons, etc. That said, we are looking at embedding COinS compliant metadata within BHA result set records that would allow client-side link activation. This is being used by OCLC in WorldCat.org and other open access data providers.

This is a fair amount of work to get through, so please bear with us as we work to make BHA better for all of you.

Best regards.........Joe Shubitowski

Joseph M. Shubitowski
Head, Library Information Systems
Getty Research Institute
1200 Getty Center Drive, Suite 1100
Los Angeles CA 90049-1688
Voice: 310-440-6394
Fax: 310-440-7780

>>> On 4/3/2010 at 6:44 PM, in message <[log in to unmask]>, <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Does anyone know if Getty will add SFX buttons to BHA citations?

RuthThomas
Mugar Library
BU