Dear ARLIS/NA members,

We will be holding a special session on copyright issues on Sunday, April 25th from 5:00pm – 6:30 pm. This session is scheduled without any other conflicting events, and WE WANT YOUR PARTICIPATION for a lively session!

Please read the description of the session below, and then send questions you have to me (Ann Whiteside – [log in to unmask])  before Friday of this week, and we’ll make sure your questions are asked during the Q &A period.

Copyright and the Redefinition of the Library Landscape

The Google book digitization project and the recent lawsuit settlement have captured the attention of librarians and the public. The settlement has fueled fears of Google’s domination of a wide range of information-related markets. Concurrently, the copyright landscape around art and images has become more complex. This session will provide a summary of the Google settlement and discussion about the challenges and opportunities the settlement presents to libraries, and art libraries in particular. There will be an update on fair use and related copyright cases of special importance to the visual arts community; we will learn what judicial decisions are game changers, and how this is redefining the landscape of practice for art librarians, artists and scholars.

This session is generously sponsored by ARTstor.

Moderator

Ellen Finnie Duranceau, Scholarly Publishing/Licensing Consultant, Massachusetts Institute of Technology

Speakers

Jonathan Band PLLC, President, policybandwidth “The Google Settlement and the Future of Art Librarianship”

Madelyn Wessel, Associate General Counsel, University of Virginia “2009-2010 Legal Developments in Copyright, Art and Media

Send your questions in, and let’s discuss the implications of copyright for our profession.

See you in Boston!

Ann

Ann Whiteside

Head, Rotch Library of Architecture and Planning

MIT Libraries

Project Director, SAHARA

P: 617-258-5594

E: [log in to unmask]